Sunday, July 13, 2008

I went to my first gay wedding today.

I don't mean to make it sound like a stereotype, but it was fab-u-lous.

They had show-tunes, a bit of bawdy humor, a lot of laughter, and it was presided over by the most famous minister in San Francisco: Reverend Cecil Williams.

What does one wear to a gay wedding, you ask?

Pink! In fact, the grooms had requested that everyone wear pink. That request was a little problematic for me, because I'm a big burly man's man who does not own any pink clothing. So, I marched my candy ass down to Nordstrom last weekend and blinked nervously in the men's department until a saleswoman helpfully swooped down.

"Can I help you with something?" she asked.

"Yes, please," I replied, "I need a pink shirt and a matching tie."

"Ok, no problem..."

"It'sBecauseI'mGoingToAGayWedding!" I blurted out, both defending my manhood and demonstrating my San Francisco liberal street cred.

"Great," she said, in that patented non-judgmental Nordstrom way.

So, she hooked me up. And today I strolled down the street, to the neighborhood restaurant where the wedding and reception were taking place. A man sitting at a sidewalk table at a nearby cafe eyed me.

"Hey boss!" he called out, "You going to a wedding?"

"Yep!" I replied, walking past.

He turned to his table-mate and I heard him say, "Looks like pink is the wedding theme!"

"Actually, wearing pink was the required dress code," I stopped and explained.

His eyes grew wide.

"Really? Now, THAT'S a gay wedding!" he exclaimed

And so it was.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, I know I'm not alone in hoping that pictures will be forthcoming...?

Mike said...

Of the wedding? Sorry, don't have any of those. Of me? Well, I suppose I can snap one the next time I'm motivated to sashay around in pink.

Anonymous said...

That'll work. Thanks!

Mike said...

Happy to accommodate, but don't hold your breath.

Avery Gray said...

My husband wears pink, but that's solely due to my inability to sort laundry, and not because he's so terribly secure in his masculinity or anything. But he looks horrible in pink. You, I'm betting, can pull it off.

Mike said...

My wife says that I looked pretty good in pink, but I suspect she's just saying that because she's trying to emasculate me.

Anonymous said...

i love it! i bet the pictures were spectacular.

-gnu reader

Mike said...

Pics are overrated. Use your imagination.