Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hank and I finished watching Season 1 of Heroes a few days ago. It was fun and exciting and yummy. We were all ready to watch the piddly number of episodes that they made for this year's season.

I went to iTunes. No dice. They don't carry it. I went to the NBC site and they had it, but it was in a crappy and advertisement-laden video player. Ugh. I saw that Amazon Unbox carried it, but after the last Unbox debacle (10 hours to download and subsequent restrictions that didn't give us enough time to actually watch the movie), I surely wasn't going to give them more of my money. Stupid freakin' DRM.

So, I turned to the dark side. I found some weird site that hosted 350Mb-sized episodes and I downloaded a couple.

I'm a rebel. I'm an outlaw. I'm a copyright-violator.

Perhaps emboldened by this illegal activity, I just fired off the first political emails of my life. California is going through a budget crisis and our governor has proposed astonishingly deep cuts to our public schools. After hearing my daughter's principal speak this evening, I decided it was time to get off my keyboard and write some emails explaining what I thought about these cuts.

I wrote to all 11 of the San Francisco Supervisors (who have some funds available), my state legislator, and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (man, that's STILL hard to type). So far all its gotten me is a call from one of the SF supes, but it's only been 30 minutes.

Fight the power, Daisy.

No comments: