Sunday, December 16, 2007

I went to a birthday party last night for an old friend. A group of us had dinner at a hip Japanese restaurant and then hit a bar for drinks afterwards.

I hadn't seen this friend in years and besides her, there was only going to be one other person that I knew at the party. I'm pretty hit or miss in social situations like this, usually more miss than hit. The fact that I was the first person to arrive at the restaurant, forced to sit by myself and play with my cell phone for 15 minutes didn't help. However, after they arrived, something magical happened at the party that turned me into a charming and hilarious addition to their social circle. They all got drunk.

I had no burning desire to be the only sober guy at the party, but considering that I had to drive myself home, and almost all of the rest of them were going to take buses or cabs, it just kind of worked out that way. As it turned out, this was a boon for my good times or at least my ego.

"Mike, you are FUNNY!" one of them would scream at me in the bar. I'd nod sheepishly.

I recall another time, decades ago, when I was drunk off of new hilarity powers. I think I was about 7 years old when I discovered that I could make the neighborhood kids roar with laughter if I screamed the word "BOOGERS!"

I milked that baby for all it was worth. Even today, if I'm desperate to make Daisy laugh, or I'm in a particularly dry teleconference, I'll consider whipping out that old standby. Seriously, try it some time.

The most alarming thing at the party was when someone told me that I looked like Bob Saget. Others at the table scrutinized me and declared it to be true.

Bob Saget? The guy from "Full House"? "America's Funniest Home Videos"? Ugh.

I would have dismissed this comparison instantly as the product of too much sake, but it wasn't the first time in my life that I had been told this.

So, there you have it:














And all along I thought I looked more like Rosanna Arquette!

11 comments:

Sara said...

I still think you look like Plasticman.

Avery Gray said...

I think you look more like Stanley Tucci. Except with hair. Which you should consider a compliment. He's quite a handsome fellow.

http://www.kfilmu.net/obrazky/herci/stanley-tucci.jpg

Neel Mehta said...

Hmm. I'm starting to see the Saget. He's almost 5'10" too. And he's best known for a show that takes place in San Francisco.

Come to think of it, I never saw the house where you lived. Is it one of the Painted Ladies?

Mike said...

Sara, Plasticman is sort of a superhero, right? I'll take it!

Avery, ok, Stanley and I have a vague resemblance in that picture because of the smile, but I'm a much better actor.

Neel, Nope. And Daisy doesn't resemble Mary Kate or Ashley.

E said...

Do you know what I would give to be present at a teleconference with someone randomly shouting "Boogers!"???

You IT guys have all the fun...

Mike said...

Hey Ms. E! Ok, I'll admit that I don't actually yell "Boogers!" that often during a teleconference, but I CONSIDER it all the time. Frankly, considering how poorly received many of my jokes are, I probably wouldn't do any worse with a BOOGER.

Anonymous said...

I dunno... Saget kinda gives me the creeps and I don't get the same feeling from you. I kinda think you're okay and stuff.

I agree with Avery Gray on the Stanley Tucci thing.

Mike said...

Mox, less creepy than Bob Saget, eh? That may go up in my blog description. I'm touched.

tinyhands said...

You're going to have to work blue if you want to be compared with Saget these days. He gots a dirty mouth.

Mike said...

Tiny, that's what I've heard. Rumor has it that the Aristocrats is the movie to rent.

tinyhands said...

Seen it, and while some of it is funnier than others, it's just a bit too long for the same joke over and over. My favorite part, should you ever find yourself watching it (keep Daisy far, far away) is the mime.