Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hank looooooves musicals. If I could replace our How-Was-Your-Day dinner conversation with interpretive dance and tuneful singing, she'd be much happier. My fascinating tales of software off-by-one errors might lose a little in the translation, but our marriage would be all the stronger for it.

So, I wasn't surprised when she bought tickets for us to go see a production of Assassins at a small community theater. I had never heard of the show, so I quizzed her about it.

Me: What's Assassins like?
Hank: It's a musical.
Me: I know that part. What's it LIKE though?
Hank: Well, it's not Angels in America, but it's not Carousel either.

I know, I know. Me either. I have no idea why she thought that would be an informative answer. Maybe if I had asked my question via interpretive dance I would have gotten a better reply.

The show itself was pretty good, I guess. I'm really not qualified to pass judgment on it. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I did enjoy several of the numbers, and a show about presidential assassins (Lee Harvey Oswald, Squeaky Fromme, John Wilkes Boothe, and many more) wins points for originality.

The theater itself was noteworthy though. It was tiny. It seated 65 people, give or take 1. Positively diminutive. It was, apparently, too small to afford air conditioning, so by the third or fourth presidential assassination, we were all sweating up a storm. These were tough conditions to watch a show in, so kudos to the actors for actually performing a show in that place.

Afterwards Hank asked me what I thought of the show. I gave her the reply that I've been using ever since then, to describe everything from Daisy's attitude to my dinner. It was no Carousel.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A musical about presidential assassins? That is a difficult one to imagine. Do Oswald, Fromme, and Boothe break into a jingle and dance after the murders or just before? I guess I haven't been to a musical in quite some time.

Or, was it more like an opera?

Mike said...

The assassins didn't do a lot of dancing, but, yes, they often broke into a song before or after the assassination. It was an odd combination of somber, and humorous, and musical, and political.

Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by!

You totally could have made it more interesting by stripping down to the undies. Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do in the heat :P

Mike said...

Oh, Marcy. Me? Pull a Britney Spears? No one wants to see that.