Monday, July 24, 2006

t's never easy to tell what birthday present will be most warmly received. Which do you think a 7 year old girl would appreciate the most:

1) New board game
2) Rollerblades
3) New book
4) Make-up kit
5) Tamogotchi (hand-held electronic virtual pet)
6) Beading kit
7) Doll clothing kit

(Most of these gifts were from her party and not from her parents)

I'll let you contemplate

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I was betting on the Rollerblades although I suspected the make-up kit would be a contender too. As it turns out, the damn Tamogotchi was the winner. Do you know what those things are? Basically, it beeps at you until you press some incomprehensible sequence of buttons, which "pleases" it.

It beeps if it's "hungry" or "bored" or takes a virtual dump. Then, you get to "care" for it, which consists of the loving pressing of the appropriate buttons. I'm looking forward to really hammering on the "discipline" button, but I'm waiting until Daisy isn't around to view the carnage.

I can't believe I bought her a toy that basically just beeps. And that she LOVES it. More beeps. Great. I is dumb.

11 comments:

Siôn said...

I'd like to be the first (albeit with a distinct time-zone advantage) to say it...

Beep.

Thank you.

zelda1 said...

I would have bet on the make up too. But then the caring for something that actually responds, well, that's another big one, like get me a puppy please. I remember the beeps; my seven-year-old grandson got one for his first Holy Communion, can you imagine and it was more recieved that the 100 bucks I gave him. Go figure.

Unknown said...

Poor Zog.

My bet was on the make-up, too.

I'll be nice and resist the urge to write the thing I normally do.

Mike said...

Siôn, I knew it was coming, but I didn't think you'd be the one to do it.

Zelda1, if you ever want to give me a present, I'll take the $100. Thanks.

JR, THANKS!

Leesa said...

Heh, that was my first guess ;) I've never heard of it, but it sounds like something a kid would like, and bonus--it annoys the parents.

TheTart said...

I voted make-up too, natch! Kids these days. Good luck Pops. ; )

Smooch,
The Tart

David said...

Tamagotchies are still around? I thought they were out when Furbies came in. Back in 1990-something.

The girl-next-door said...

I'm not surprised at her loving the beeping. Nintendo has a dog game that operates the same way (accept you can actually pick what breed of animal you want to foster, make it do tricks, and it has a stylus that is used to make the pooch MOVE). What will they think of next....

Mike said...

David, yeah. They're souped up a bit, with more built-in games and some IR connectivity, but basically the same thing. Everything old is new again.

GND, I'm waiting for the hand-held electronic beeping wife.

tinyhands said...

No question she'd like the tamogotchi. She's her daddy's daughter, after all.

Mike said...

Tiny, once I fully unravel your insult, I shall respond two-fold!