Monday, October 18, 2004

Note, to those of you who have come here expecting my usual snarky posts, filled with laments about my poor running style, or my uncool child, you've come to the wrong place. Today, there's sunshine streaming out my ass. Zillions of photons, all clumped together like sunshiney turdlets, spilling out from my sphincter to this blog.

At times like this, I think it's obvious to everyone why I became a programmer and not a writer.

Anyways.

Yesterday my daughter's elementary school held their annual student fundraiser. It was a run-a-thon. The kids had one hour to run as many laps around a 1/4 mile track as possible. They had gathered sponsors in the previous weeks, so the the more laps they ran, the more money they raised for the school.

My sweet little five year-old daughter, cranked out 12 laps. That's 3 miles! Three miles in an hour won't break any records, but for my little asthmatic daughter, who tires easily, to run/walk three miles is outstanding. I beamed with pride. Apparently we're runners in our family! Who knew?

Everything just went right. We had been apprehensive about the run in the week before because the event had a mascot, a guy dressed up in a gorilla suit. Apparently this character made an appearance at my daughter's school a few weeks ago and scared the bejesus out of her. She was the lone child that had to be led out of the assembly because she was shrieking in fear.

The gorilla made an appearance at the run-a-thon, but my daughter would not be deterred. I'm so proud of her. She's a great kid.

Next post, back to my usual surly self.

No comments: