Tuesday, May 25, 2004

GAH!

What's more annoying than watching a slow download? That's right, nothing. I'm currently watching the "progress" (quotes used to indicate irony) bar and it ain't doing much. So far, it's been over an hour, and the bar has moved about four little chunks. I guess that the whole bar is about 75 chunks long. Yay, I'm 10% done! Doing some quick math indicates that this download will complete by the time I am dead. I hope that my daughter will be able to use this program in my memory. So far I don't know if I've made much of a mark on this world, but completing this download will justify my existence. Must....stay....alive.....

I can see the "progress" of each file.

1174k bytes....
1177k bytes....
1180k bytes....
1180k bytes....
1180k bytes....

It's 2004, I have a reasonably fast DSL connection and I'm watching kbytes dribble in. Shoot me. Shoot me now.

Oooh, 5 chunks!

What was the analogous annoyance for folks before the age of the Internet? Waiting for someone to fetch your file from a large filing cabinet? Nah, too short. Waiting 6-8 weeks for something to get delivered? Nah, you don't actually sit and wait for that.

I'm guessing that it's analogous to having some horrible terminal painful disease and waiting for death, glorious death.

Crap. I give up. Who needs updated software? Back to work.

No comments: