Sunday, March 13, 2011

I've organized a weekly happy hour night at work as a way to socialize a bit with some of my new co-workers.   Usually about half a dozen people show up and we have a decent time.

A contractor joined our team a couple of weeks ago, and she's been very pleasant, so I planned to invite her along to happy hour last week.  However, I knew a few people were going to be out of the office on that day, and I wanted to make sure that it didn't turn into just a two person outing, lest it look like I was asking her out on a date under the guise of "department happy hour".  So, I confirmed that at least a couple other people were going before inviting her.

Turns out, har har, just about everyone else bailed out.  By 5:15pm, with New Contractor Lady waiting for us to depart, I didn't have anyone else lined up.  I employed my best Jedi mind-trick on Lee, our product manager, and commanded him to join us, gazing fiercely at him and pleading just a teeny bit.  He reluctantly agreed.

So, it worked out.  One more person showed up, and the four of us had a couple of beers.  Hazzah!

I came home later that night and told Hank how I successfully avoided dating my new co-worker, thus saving our marriage.

Hank rolled her eyes deeply and thoroughly.

"Do you mean that you've never gone out for a beer or lunch with just one other female co-worker before?" she asked incredulously.  "Not even just you and Liz?"

I thought about this for a moment.

"Hmm, I've definitely popped out for a coffee errand with Liz, but I don't recall ever having lunch just the two of us, or going out for drinks just the two of us.  It might have occurred, but I don't recall."

At this point I marveled at the fitness of Hank's eye muscles.  The rolling, which looked vigorous, showed no sign of letting up.

"I've gone out for lunch with my co-worker, Jackson, lots of times," she exclaimed.  "Is that a date?"

Yes.

Ladies of the Internet, please form a line in the Comments section. I am now prepared to date you.

4 comments:

none said...

Well I am glad to hear you are ready to date me....First of all I need to let you know I just got divorced from my husband after 38 and 1/2 years of a very unhappy marriage....matter of fact my best friend said I had been getting divorced fro 25 years and that is about true....I am almost 57 years old...Unemployed, can't marry you or I will loose my spousal support...BTW I have stage 4 breast cancer 4 years this July, oh I'm over weight too and a bit of a bitch...I have a nice red vette convertible and live in AZ...Oh and I had a radical hysterectomy 7 years ago and have no interest in sex...3 grown kids that I try to live their lives and 8 grand kids that are all very special....well maybe Hank's eye rolling is not so bad and you just need to stick it out and be nice...Is the grass always greener????? Helen..

Mike said...

Helen, what you lack in marketing and sales ability, you make up for in promptness. You are first in line!

Liz said...

Actually, I recall just the two of us having beers one night. It was just before you climbed into the back of Hank's car so you could quickly overdress for some dinner cruise thing. I can't believe you forgot what must have been the best part of you evening. That said, I'm free anytime for beer. Your keg or mine?

Mike said...

Liz, I do recall that outing. Pretty short date!