Sunday, July 05, 2009

An old commercial famously asked, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Many years ago I sought to answer this question.

** SPOILER ALERT **

The answer was 224. I recall executing the test on two separate occasions and getting the same answer both times (although I also recall licking pretty vigorously on the last few licks the second time). Regardless, the question was answered and I'm pretty sure our grandchildren will be studying that experiment in science class.

This weekend I sought to resolve another age-old issue.

Bugs Bunny once uttered the famous line, "Pismo Beach and all the clams you can eat!"

Although there is no explicit question in that statement, the implicit question has loomed in the back of my mind for decades. How many clams is that? I pondered this question every time in my life that I drove down Highway 101 past Pismo Beach. This weekend, for the first time in my life, I spent a few days in Pismo Beach. It was the perfect time to answer the ancient question.

As it turns out, clams were kind of hard to find in Pismo Beach. I saw something with clams in it only one time and promptly ordered the dish. It was Pismo Beach Clam Chowder. I prepared my mouth and stomach for a clamapalooza of epic proportions. So, how many clams are "all the clams you can eat?"

** ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT **

4.

1 comment:

yajeev said...

i did the tootsie roll pop experiment a few years (decades?) back and counted 1386. guess there's not much of a universal unit of lick. the metric system people really ought to implement the microlick, millilick, lick, megalick, rarely used decilick, etc...