Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I got a haircut today. My... uh... hairdresser? Geez, that doesn't sound like a person who cuts a man's hair. Barber? No, it's a chick and one who has more female customers than male ones. Stylist? Hmmm, I don't think I'm being styled if it only costs $18.00.

Anyway, near the end of the haircut, my hairtress asked me if I wanted my sideburns trimmed. That sounded fine.

She trimmed each one a bit and then worked on tidying up the rest of my head. I stared at my sideburns in the mirror and couldn't help noticing that the left one was a bit longer than the right one.

Me: Excuse me, I think the left one needs to be trimmed a bit more. It seems longer.
Hairtress: Hmmmm.

She put a finger at the bottom of each one and then examined me.

Hairtress: Well, I guess a little bit, ok.

She trimmed a nanometer of sideburn.

Me: Does that look right?
Hairtress: Yeah. I usually use my fingers to line it up.
Me: ....?
Hairtress: I think that's more accurate than using ears as a guide.
Me: ....?

I contemplated what she was saying, and/or not saying. It took a minute to sink in.

Me: Oh my god! My ears! They're not the same height! MY LEFT EAR IS HIGHER!
Hairtress: Well, uh, that's why I use my fingers.
Me: Good lord.

There's nothing like discovering a new physical defect.

3 comments:

Sue said...

That is wierd! I got my hair cut today too. But mine is DEFINITELY a stylist ($$).

Sorry bout the ears.

The 4th Sister said...

Be thankful you can still see well enough to tell.... Oh my goodness, my word verification is HAIR!

Mike said...

Sue, yeah, not much styling takes place for $18. She did offer to put my gel in my hair though.

4th Sis, that's a pretty positive way to look at things. And, hey, my ears don't stick out like Obama's, so I guess I can feel superior that way.