Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm a little bit of a snob.

For the most part I'm a down-to-earth guy, but I have my areas where I'm pretty sure that my preferences are superior to those of the common man. For example, I regard white bread, American cheese, and Adam Sandler movies with complete disdain.

If you like those things, does that mean that I don't like you? Certainly not!

I just like you a little less than before.

You can also add any number of television shows to the list of items that are beneath me. You've got your Jerry Springer, your Cops, your Super Extreme Whatever Makeover Spectacular, wrestling and, of course, American Idol.

This season I've been tivoing American Idol for Daisy. Since I'd never seen the show before, I watched a bit of the first few episodes to make sure that it was Daisy-appropriate. Then, over the last few weeks, when I couldn't watch our usual Tivo'ed shows (because Hank was busy with auction crap and I was saving them for her), I'd watch more of American Idol.

At some point, and I'm not exactly sure when it was, I started to... ugh, I can't believe I'm going to say this... I started to enjoy American Idol. The performances are uneven, and can be boring at times, but they're often entertaining or at least charmingly flawed and Simon Cowell is appealingly rude. The show is actually enjoyable.

When did this happen? When did I become Joe America? I suck.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch next week's show with an American cheese on Wonder Bread sammich. Mmmmm, the lowest common denominatorlicious.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, if I had a dime for every show I *ahem* "TiVO'd for my daughter" I'd be rich. ;)

Avery Gray said...

Welcome to the dark side, my friend. Next thing you know, you'll be buying tickets to the national tour.

For Daisy, of course.

Mike said...

Hi Casual Perfectionist! I hear what you're saying, but normally my daughter watches PBS crap like The Magic School Bus, so I can honestly say that this is the first program she has been interested in that has the remotest bit of possibly interesting content.

Avery, oh, of course. Perhaps I can get a volume discount when I download the latest Kelly Clarkson songs too. She digs those.

Tasty said...

Welcome to the dark side, indeed!

Mike said...

Tasty, I'm pretty sure it's the rest of my life that's dark and not American Idol, but I appreciate your welcome.

nrd2 said...

i NEVER watch american idol, but somehow i've found myself watching "the real housewives of new york city". i don't know, maybe white bread and american cheese isn't as bad as my dad said it was...

Mya said...

It's a slippery slope...be careful. Simon Cowell is funny, though.

Mya x

Mike said...

Niki, the real housewives of NYC? I've never even heard of that. Maybe I am still a snob. Woo hoo!

Mya, I know! I fear this slope. How long before I start watching soap operas? What are Luke and Laura up to these days?

Neel Mehta said...

You can still be a snob if you tell people you watch American Idol ironically.

Mike said...

Neel, that's a good idea. I may use that if I continue to watch next season.