Sunday, August 27, 2006

Last night we held our irregularly monthly poker night. We broke out the booze, some new decks of cards, and our fancy poker chip set.

As with any good poker chip set, it comes with an extra poker chip marked with the word, "Dealer". This chip is supposed to sit in front of whomever is acting as the dealer during that hand. It's a handy visual reminder.

That chip isn't the perfect device though. It's a little small, could easily get lost, and frankly, does nothing to remind me of the last 10 years of servitude I've spent at my corporate job. Wait a minute! I have just the thing! After a quick modification with my handy dandy Sharpie...


Ahhhhhh, absurdity eases the pain of life. So heavy! I look forward to finding many more inappropriate uses for my crystal plaque "award". Thanks, Company B!

8 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Well Mike, looking at this in the picture the base looks like....THE HEAD OF A BIG SCREW! I am not sure how proud I would be of that....

zelda1 said...

What a great use of the not-so-great gift. I agree about the screw, but it also looks like a scored pill. So did you win, at poker night?

Unknown said...

I think the base looks like a scored poker chip.

Might I suggest hiring the award-winning artist living in your house to paint your nifty plaque base to more closely resemble one?

All it needs are some lines or diamonds around the edge of the round metal base and viola, you have a hefty poker chip.

(How much would a poker chip of that size be worth?)

OH! And the crystal part can be painted to look like a playing card.

Mike said...

Hi 4th sister, I can tell you that it looks a little less like a screw head in person, but I see what you're seeing. More importantly, I hope I didn't give you the impression that I'm proud of this thing. Quite the opposite.

Zelda1, no I got my butt kicked. We played 4 mini tournaments and I lost them all.

JR, oh, that's a really excellent idea, although I am kind of attached to the concept of finding other absurd "uses" for this thing. If we keep it as a dealer "chip", we'll execute your good idea.

Willie Baronet said...

Dude, that is brilliant!

Mike said...

Rrramone, something tells me that you tend towards hyperbole.

patsy said...

don't let 4th sister get you down, she never worked anywhere long enought to get a reward. she worked at AT and T for a while and they laid her off and gave her a new computer as a going away gift.think the were glad to see the last of her. reading your post noticed that you went to Berkely. when i was young that was a real hot bed for radicals.

Mike said...

Hi Patsy, I was always a bigger radical in my head than in reality.